published on July 14, 2022
Congratulations on your new baby! How you get coverage for your baby will depend on your current insurance status.
If you do not have health insurance:
- Having a baby qualifies you for a . This means you can enroll or change 2022 Marketplace coverage. When you enroll in the new plan, your coverage can begin the day your baby is born.
- Apply within 60 days of your baby’s birth. Your plan can cover you, your baby, and all other household members.
- It is important to have access to health care for both new parents and babies. With Marketplace coverage, you can get preventative benefits, such as baby visits.
- Learn more about special enrollment periods and how to sign up.
If you have a Marketplace subscription:
- You can keep your current subscription and add your baby to your coverage.
- Update your Marketplace application within 60 days of your baby’s birth. Your coverage options and savings may change.
- You can create a separate enrollment group for your baby and enroll them in a subscription for the rest of the year, as having a baby qualifies you for a special enrollment period. (You can’t change plans, but you can select any plan available to your baby.)
If you have Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) coverage:
If you have Medicaid when you give birth, your baby will automatically be enrolled in Medicaid coverage and will remain eligible for at least one year.
Learn more about your health insurance options if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or have recently given birth.